This gorgeous recipe popped up on my Facebook newsfeed before Christmas and I just had to make it. Hummingbird cake is one of my all time favourites and until now, I had never seen a grain-free, gluten-free recipe for it.
This Coconut Hummingbird Cake recipe is the brainchild of the amazing Allison at Frisky Lemon Nutrition. Check out her webpage and facebook. I tweaked it a little and Australiafied and thermomixified it. (They are so real words!)
Allison decorated hers with a lovely cream cheese frosting and pecans, but this was all eaten before I even got the chance to get that far! I think it would be lovely with some coconut cream frosting. It is truly delicious and one of our family’s firm favourites. I hope you like it as much as we do.
Coconut Hummingbird Cake
Vital Stats: Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Okay, this is what you need:
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 tablespoon organic cinnamon (I use Planet Organic brand)
1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon of bicarb soda
1 tablespoon organic apple juice concentrate (AJC)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 organic eggs
2 ripe organic bananas
1 cup organic walnuts (or pecans)
3 tablespoons filtered water
Okay, so this is how you do it:
* Set your oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a deep, round cake tin with baking paper.
* Chop the nuts in the thermomix, speed 5 for 2-3 seconds. Set aside.
* Chuck the dates in the thermomix with 3 tablespoons of filtered water. Cook for 2 mins on 100 degrees, speed 1. Whizz on speed 8-9 to make a paste. Cool in the thermy.
* Fling in the AJC, chopped bananas, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, drained and chopped pineapple and whizz on speed 4 until well combined and pineapple is crushed- about 10 to 20 seconds.
* Whack into the thermomix the flour, bicarb soda, nuts and salt. On REVERSE, mix on speed 3 for 20 seconds until thoroughly combined.
* Pour into cake tin. Bung it into the oven and cook for 45 mins to one hour or until set. Cool on a wire cake rack.
For non-thermomix instructions, please refer to Allison’s recipe here. I hope you love this Coconut Hummingbird Cake!!
Are you a fan of hummingbird cake?
*I found these canned Organic Pineapple Chunks in a BPA free can. I keep a couple in the pantry for recipes.
You can get Cyndi O’Meara’s Changing Habits Coconut Oil from my affiliate shop.