Well the Universe was truly giving me a nudge a few weeks ago, when not one, but two of my favourite Facebook pages (www.livelightlynow.com and Alexx Stuart) both mentioned the dangers of having plastic kettles.
Like Tracy at Live Lightly Now, this had totally escaped me! I have no idea how. I lecture the hubby and kids constantly about never putting hot things in plastic and here I was boiling it up every day for my morning cuppa. Eghads!
“Plastic water bottles release the toxic chemical bisphenol A at a rate 55 times greater when filled with boiling water than when filled with room temperature water, according to a study conducted by researchers from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and published in the journal Toxicology Letters.” Natural News
Now, I don’t know if my plastic kettle had any BPA in it, but really, I am not comfortable with any plastic being heated.
Alexx had already done her research and found the glass Breville Kettle (pictured) to be a good one. I had a quick scurry around the shops (more like a mad panic, trying not to think of all the toxins I had ingested over gosh knows how many years!) and this one looked good to me too. Many of the stainless and glass kettles still had plastic inserts as the gauge. This one only has plastic on the lid, which you can easily flick up to pour out your water. A totally stainless steel kettle would also do the job.
So, what are you adding to your daily cuppa? Is this something that worries you?
You might also like to read why I am ditching the plastic storage.