Now that the kids have gone back to school (whew!) I am giving the house a good clean up!
All of us have been using the method cleaning range for the last few months and seeing how they perform. I hadn’t really heard of them before and was curious that I had been missing out on an eco-friendly brand!
Okay, so who are method ?
Americans, Adam Lowry and Eric Ryan, two former roommates came up with method in 2001. They are ‘the people against dirty’. Creating eco-friendly cleaning products that actually work, they have taken the world by storm with their funky, fun packaging and unique marketing approach. In 2008, enjo Australia founder, Barb Di Corti brought them to Australia as an exclusive stockist.
Are they really green?
Let me give you a brief run down:
- non toxic
- made with naturally derived, biodegradable ingredients
- ingredients and packaging materials are assessed by an independent research institute (EPEA)
- not tested on animals
- packaging is recyclable and made from recycled plastic
- actively try to reduce their carbon footprint
- use the precautionary principle: unless they can conclude that an ingredient is safe for people and the planet, they don’t use it
- low levels of safe, approved preservatives are used
How does it perform?
Brilliantly!! I was pretty impressed and it’s hard to impress me when it comes to cleaning. I pretty much hate cleaning and using bicarb and vinegar does require a bit of elbow grease and rinsing. These products just whip through the dirt and scuzz really well. No rinsing required, just a wet cloth and a squirt and Bob’s your uncle!
The Natural New Age Dad is the main washer-upperer and he thought the washing up detergent was pretty good. The kids also do a fair bit of cleaning and were loving the bathroom products for how quick and easy they worked. The laundry detergent washed our clothes just as well as any other product we have tried. I really loved how great the glass cleaner was – it cleans well and no streaking!! The floor cleaner was also one of the best I have ever tried. I would definitely use these products again and I am keen to see what their dishwashing tablets are like.
Yeah, we like it!
- I am really digging the whole eco-friendly philosophy of the company – they really walk the talk.
- Totally getting a giggle out of the funny and quirky stuff on the packaging (see photo) – I mean who doesn’t want to make cleaning a bit more fun? Also check out their ‘clean happy’ videos for more laughs.
- I loved the easy to use pump on the laundry detergent and dishwashing liquid. It’s such a great idea as there is minimal wastage (ie no kids pouring out loads of stuff!)
- It’s very reasonably priced and easily compares favourably in the market place with other brands.
- It works.
- Small amounts of preservatives are still used.
- Some of the fragrance was a little strong for me in confined spaces, but I have a strong sense of smell. It didn’t seem to worry anyone else.
- It’s a bit hard to get your hands on. There are a small amount of stockists and online purchasing available. I would love to see it a bit more widely available.
The lovely people at method are giving away 5 packs of their Squeaky Green Starter Packs so you guys can try them out for yourselves. Included is the All Purpose, Glass and Surface, Bathroom Cleaner, Squirt and Mop and a Handwash.
How to enter:
This giveaway is now closed. The winners are Jennifer, Corrine, Rachel, Kareena and Renee.
- Be a blog subscriber (add your email to the right hand side box)
- Like method australia on Facebook
- Leave me a comment on this blog post letting me know what cleaning job you really, really hate doing