Choc Banana Protein Smoothie
I have been experimenting with different smoothies lately.
They are a great way to get superfoods into your diet. This recipe came to me in the middle of the night (and yes, I had to get out of bed and write it down so I didn’t forget it).
I wanted to make a smoothie for breakfast that tasted good but also had a good amount of protein to get me through the morning. It did both of those things. I was actually a little surprised at how well it filled me up – sometimes drinking smoothies for breakfast means I need to eat morning tea!
Let me give you a rundown on some of the superfoods and why they are so good for you before we get to the recipe.
* CACAO. Rich in magnesium, iron and antioxidants, cacao is also a natural appetite suppressant. But what I love most about it, is that it contains the amino acid tryptophan, which leads to the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that promotes feelings of joy and may help prevent mild depression. Start the day off happy!
* MACA POWDER. I am a recent convert to maca powder, but I am loving the general health benefits and feelings of energy I get when I take it. Maca is a nutritionally packed super food rich in amino acids, vitamins minerals & essential fatty acids. Maca is rich in vitamin B12 and protein (handy for vegans). It contains vitamins B1, B2, B12, C and E. It provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids.
It is also well-known for helping to regulate hormones, increasing libido, increasing energy, improving acne and skin conditions and alleviating symptoms of depression and anxiety. Read more here.
* CINNAMON. I put cinnamon in everything. Not only because I love the taste, but cinnamon has so many health benefits, including lowering our blood sugar. It can also help with things like PMS, candida, arthritis, headaches and migraine! Read more here.
* BANANAS. High in potassium, magnesium, B vitamins and antioxidants, bananas also produce tryptophan! Find out some more good things about nanas here.
* ALMONDS. Almonds are a good source of calcium, vitamin E, some of the B vitamins, and are about 20 percent protein, so they are also very filling. Copper, iron, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, magnesium, manganese and selenium are present in almonds.
* INCA INCHI POWDER. You may not have heard of inca inchi before. It’s fast becoming very popular as a natural protein supplement. Inca Inchi Protein Powder is over 60% complete protein. It’s also high in vitamins A and E, calcium and omega 3.
“Inca inchi powder is made from the nut that has been cold pressed to remove the oil (Inca Inchi Oil). The dried nut powder contains one of the most highly digestible, low-irritant, high quality proteins (unlike some whey based, chemically enhanced protein) and thus has become one of nature’s superfoods!” Cyndi O’Meara
So this little smoothie is a powerhouse of nutrition, will fill you up and make you happy! Now, Let me tell you how to make it:
Choc Banana Protein Smoothie
Vital stats: dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, egg-free, vegan, vegetarian, full of superfoods!
Okay, so this is what you need:
1 organic banana
1 cup (250ml) organic milk of your choice (I used nut milk)
1 teaspoon inca inchi powder
1 teaspoon maca powder
2 teaspoons raw, organic cacao
2 teaspoons almond or other nut butter
1 large medjool date
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Okay, so this is what you do:
Whack everything into your blender/thermomix/ food processor and whizz it like crazy for a minute.
Pour into a glass and enjoy! It serves one large glass or two small.
Do you like smoothies for breakfast? What do you put in them?
Get superfoods at my affiliate shop.