How to beat cold and flu – naturally!
Colds, coughs, snotty noses, flu ….. ugggh! Is there anything worse?
Well, it doesn’t have to happen at your house quite so frequently. We haven’t had a flu or even a bad cold in years at our place!
There is no ‘cure’ for the common cold but natural, toxin-free remedies can help stop the lurgies from getting too bad. As you know, I am not a doctor or a naturopath or have any medical qualifications at all. All I know is that my family hasn’t had a flu or even a really bad cold in ages (actually, this probably coincides quite nicely with our decision to go toxin-free!)
All I can share is things I have researched and tried out over the years that work for us.
First though I think we need to talk about prevention. Everyone says ‘prevention’ is better than cure, right?
What we do to prevent colds and flu:
* a diet high in fresh, organic fruits and vegetables
* a healthy lifestyle (exercise, sleep, toxin-free, no smoking, no drinking, not getting rundown)
* probiotics or fermented foods on a daily basis
* lots of water
* thorough washing of hands
* essential oils like Immune Boost blend from Twenty 8
* drink bone broth (with lots of ginger, turmeric and garlic in it) regularly or put it in our food
* freak out and run away from anyone with a cold 😛
What we do if we start feeling a bit sick:
* olive leaf extract – a couple of doses a day. It tastes feral, but we mix it with a little juice and do a juice chaser. It makes me shiver every time !
* several doses of Super Greens and Reds green powder
* rest, rest, rest
* extra fruit and veges (green smoothies usually do the trick)
* ingest coconut oil, usually in a herbal tea or smoothie
* Immune Boost blend essential oil in the diffuser and on the soles of the feet overnight
What we do if the germs get us:
* all of the above, plus
* a natural chest rub that we make ourselves (and we also use it on feet at night)
* manuka honey, coconut oil and lemon in chamomile tea
You might also like to read:
Easy natural sore throat remedy
How to boost your immune system, naturally
What do you do to stay well and ward off the lurgies?
*Please note that this information is general in nature and you should always consult your health practitioner for specific medical advice.*