10 Quick Stress Busters
Stress! Everyone seems to be so stressed these days!
Stress is incredibly bad for your health and too much stress can lead to long term problems. I know, I am currently healing my body from the effects of stress and fatigued adrenals.
I am going to write more about my adrenal fatigue journey and what is working for me, later down the track, but today I wanted to give you a few, very simple things you can do to alleviate daily stress, instantly.
Here are my 10 tips for you:
1. Breathe. Well yes, I know we breathe all the time, but deep, relaxing breaths? Make it a habit to have a breath break at work or at home. Sit or lie down and take ten very full breaths, right to the bottom of your lungs, hold it and then release.
2. The ‘Centering Button’. I recently came across this fabulous technique in a book called Your Personal Tuning Fork by Deborah K Bates. This very easy technique can be done anywhere, anytime and nobody will know you are doing it – very handy in meetings or when you are in a tight spot!
About 0.6cm (or quarter of an inch) behind your top teeth, place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth gently. This has the effect of being centred, strengthened and relaxed.
3. The ‘Stress Release Button.’ Also from Deborah’s book, this releases stress from the adrenal glands. Find the spot three finger widths below your navel and apply pressure. Hold for 30 seconds and then release on the outward breath.
4. Flower Essences. Australian Bushflower Essences work on the emotions and can quickly calm you down in a tense or upsetting situation. I don’t leave the house without a bottle of Help in my handbag.
5. Tense and Relax. This is a popular relaxation technique that I love doing. Most of us store a lot of tension in our bodies without realising it! You simply tense all your muscles that you can very tight, hold for a moment and then let everything go. Repeat as often as you like.
6. Essential Oils. I can’t live without my essential oils – many are wonderful stress relievers. A whiff of lavender can calm you down or go for a blend like Destress and Revive. It can change the way you feel within seconds!
7. Earthing. Get outside and take your shoes off, connect with the ground and soak up all the electrons. It will not only relieve stress, but it has a whole host of other benefits. Dr Mercola says “when you ground to the electron-enriched earth, an improved balance of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system occurs.” I also use an earthing sheet and mat.
8. Smile. Even if you don’t want to or don’t feel like it, do it anyway. The very act of smiling creates a lowered heart rate and more relaxation. They have even done studies on it!
9. Herbal Tea. Don’t reach for a coffee or caffeinated drink, this will only exacerbate the stress. Have a calming cup of herbal tea and watch the tension melt. A great one to try is Calming by Love Tea Organic.
10. Hug. Hugging is a powerful anti-stress reliever! “Austrian scientists discovered that the important hormone, oxytocin, was secreted into the bloodstream when a person hugged, or was hugged by, a trusted person. Oxytocin is produced by the pituitary gland, and its release can lower blood pressure, reduce stress, and improve our memory.” Natural News.
So that’s my 10 quick stress busters! What do you do to relieve stress??