Make your own natural chest rub!
Did you know the leading chest rub on the market contains petroleum, camphor and turpentine oil??
Petroleum in products can be problematic for a number of reasons. It’s one ingredient I steer clear of. Camphor is a highly toxic poison and can cause serious problems if consumed. Turpentine oil, while a natural product can burn the skin and cause respiratory problems.
So, why not make your own chest rub using organic, natural ingredients? It’s cheaper and your family will be safe and toxin-free.
Homemade Chest Rub
Okay so this is what you need:
* If you want to use a ready-made blend of oils, you could also just use Sinus Clear or Wellness Warrior
Okay, so this is how you do it:
* Melt your coconut oil by placing the jar in a bowl of hot water
* Pour 1/4 cup of the oil into a glass jar (clean and sterilise if using a recycled jar)
* Add 20 drops of eucalyptus oil, 20 drops of peppermint oil and 10 drops of lemon oil
* Mix well
* Let it re-solidify for easier use (pop it in the fridge in summer time)
Okay, so this is how you use it:
Rub on the chest, throat and back if you have a cough or cold.
Rub on your feet at night and pop on some socks to help ease a cough.
Rub a little under your nose.
Add a couple of teaspoons to hot water in a bowl to use as a steam inhalation.
The coconut oil is so rich and moisturizing, you will get the extra benefit of soft skin!
If you can’t be bothered making your own chest rub, check out these natural vapour chest rubs that I recommend.
You might also like to read: How to make your own natural hand wash.
*Please always double-check any product or ingredient containing essential oils that you use on babies and toddlers. Here is the current safety information regarding peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil around children from a source I trust, Robert Tisserand.