Is your family gluten-free?
You are going to love this fabulous cookbook from Tracey Black, Gluten Free Real Food Recipes for Kids! Actually, even if you aren’t gluten-free you will still love it!
Tracey has kindly let me share one of her yummy recipes with you and she is giving away two copies of her cookbook. But let’s talk about the food first.
This recipe is so, so easy but so tasty. I did tweak Tracey’s recipe to make them dairy free as well (and because I didn’t have any parmesan cheese in the fridge!). I used nutritional yeast flakes (sometimes called savoury yeast flakes) instead and they still tasted nice and cheesey! Yeast flakes are also a great source of B vitamins. These would be fabulous served with a dollop of cashew sour cream and some homemade salsa (if I also had that stuff in the fridge!)
Tracey says “Pre-packaged hash browns in the grocery store are often laden with fillers and artificial ingredients. Make your own using zucchini to cut out the processed ingredients for a yummy breakfast (or anytime) side dish that’s nutritious and gluten free.”[box] Tip: Replace zucchini with carrots, sweet potato or potato – or try a combination of your favorite root vegetables. You can also replace the gluten-free flour with coconut flour to make this dish grain free[/box]
Zucchini Hash Browns
Vital Stats: Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Vegetarian
So, this is what you need:
• 2 cups (about 3 medium) organic zucchini, grated
• 2 tbsp onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/8 tspn of Himalayan Pink salt (I used Herbamare)
• Fresh ground pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup organic Parmesan cheese, grated (or 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes)
• 1 egg
• 2 tbsp plain gluten-free flour (Tracey has a recipe to make your own)
• 5 tbsp organic coconut oil (for frying)
So, this is what you do:
1.Remove excess water from grated zucchini either with a cloth napkin or drain for a few minutes – squeezing
the zucchini to get the water out.
2. Heat a large frypan (cast iron is good) to medium and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Cook the onions until soft and remove from heat. Return frypan to stovetop and heat remaining coconut oil.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, add egg, flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add zucchini, onion and cheese to egg and flour mixture. Mix well.
5. Scoop a spoonful of mixture and place in frypan. Repeat as needed to fill frypan with about 2 inches between each hash brown.
6. Cook about 3-5 minutes on each side, and then set aside on a wire cooling rack so the hash browns don’t get
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all hash browns are cooked.
Tracey’s cookbook, Gluten Free – Real Food Recipes for Kids is fast becoming a family favourite around here. The kids are keen for me to make the Almond Butter Choc Chip Cookies, but I want to try out the Probiotic Ranch Dressing (how cool)!
There are over 70 family friendly recipes. No artificial ingredients or processed foods are used. Tracey has kid-tested all the recipes on her own three boys! Recipes include kid-favourites such as Pizza and Chicken Fingers – as well as more modern cuisine such as Quinoa, Feta and Tomato Salad and GrainFree Fish Tacos.
All the recipes are gluten free and there are many vegan, vegetarian, grain-free, dairy-free and egg-free options. Tracey has included everything from snacks to drinks, breakfasts, main meals, lunchbox ideas and sweet treats.
But it’s not all just recipes, Tracey has some great information for you as well. Discover which foods and ingredients are toxic and should be avoided – as well as real foods your family needs for real nourishment. There’s also an extensive section on how to decode food labels, all about real food nutrition, kitchen staples and tips to get kids to become better eaters.
[box] Special Offer! Until the end of March, all my readers can purchase Gluten Free – Real Food Recipes for Kids for just $9.99 instead of the regular price of $22.95. Just use the coupon code: SPRING. Go here. [/box]
This giveaway has now closed. The lucky winners are Sarah Titmus and Kate Dillon.
Would you like to win one of two copies of Gluten Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids?
♥ Be a blog subscriber (add your email to the box on the right)
♥ Be a Natural New Age Mum liker on Facebook (go here)
♥ Comment on this blog post, telling me the first thing you would make from the cookbook if you won!
[box] Terms and conditions: This giveaway will close at midnite (AEST) on Monday the 31st of March. Winners will be chosen using random.org from those fulfilling the entry requirements correctly. Winners will be emailed and announced on this blog post. Open to everyone, including those outside Australia. Good luck![/box]
Hosted by Kellie O’Brien Media